Inherited heart conditions, also known as genetic heart disorders, are conditions that are passed down within families through their genes. These conditions can affect the structure and functioning of the heart and can manifest at any age. Understanding the most common inherited heart conditions is crucial for both individuals and families, as early diagnosis and proper management can significantly improve outcomes. Here, the best heart specialists in Mukundapur have listed the three common inherited heart conditions.
Three common inherited heart conditions
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM): Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy refers to a genetic condition characterized by the thickening of the cardiovascular muscles, especially the left ventricle. This thickening can make it harder for the heart to pump blood, leading to various complications. HCM is often caused by genetic mutations that control heart muscle growth.
- Shortness of breath during strenuous physical activities.
- Chest pain or discomfort.
- Fatigue and weakness.
- Irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias).
- Dizziness or lightheadedness.
- Medications to regulate symptoms and improve heart function.
- Lifestyle modifications like avoiding strenuous exercise.
- Implantation of a pacemaker for those at risk of dangerous arrhythmias.
- Surgical procedures to remove excess heart muscle in severe cases.
- Long QT Syndrome (LQTS): Long QT syndrome refers to a disorder of the heart’s electrical activity, causing an irregular heartbeat that can cause sudden, uncontrollable, and dangerous arrhythmias, says the best heart specialists in Mukundapur. It is called “long QT” due to the prolonged duration of the QT interval on an electrocardiogram (EKG), which indicates abnormal heart electrical activity.
- Fainting or seizures, often during physical activity or stress.
- Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia).
- Sudden cardiac arrest.
- Beta-blockers regulate heart rate and prevent arrhythmias.
- Implantation of an ICD to monitor and correct irregular heart rhythms.
- Avoiding triggers like certain medications, strenuous exercise, and stress.
- Genetic testing and counseling for family members to identify those at risk.
- Familial Hypercholesterolemia (FH): As per the best cardiac surgeons in Mukundapur, familial hypercholesterolemia is a genetic disorder that impairs the body’s ability to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol from the bloodstream. High LDL cholesterol levels can cause atherosclerosis, a plaque buildup in one’s arteries, increasing the risk of stroke and heart disease.
- Elevated cholesterol levels from a young age.
- Early onset of heart disease, sometimes in childhood or adolescence.
- Chest pain or angina.
- Xanthomas (fatty deposits) on tendons and skin.
- Lifestyle modifications include a heart-healthy diet, regular exercise, and avoiding smoking.
- Medications like statins to lower cholesterol levels.
- Lipid apheresis is a procedure to filter LDL cholesterol from the blood in severe cases.
- Genetic testing to recognize the specific gene mutations causing FH.
If you are experiencing any concerning symptoms, seeking consultation with the best heart specialists in Mukundapur is essential. Genetic testing and counseling can provide valuable insights, helping to reduce the risk of these inherited heart conditions for individuals and their families.