Liver Cirrhosis is characterized by the scarring of the liver tissue. Get to know its causes and treatments from the best gastroenterology doctors in Mukundapur.
Causes and Treatments of Liver Cirrhosis
Liver Cirrhosis refers to a progressive or chronic liver disease that affects the organ’s function over time. If left untreated, the latter can lead to severe complications. Find the causes and treatments of liver cirrhosis from the best gastroenterology doctors in Mukundapur.
Causes of liver cirrhosis
- Chronic Alcohol Abuse
Prolonged and excess alcohol consumption is one of the main causes of liver cirrhosis. Alcohol is known to damage liver cells, resulting in the scarring and inflammation of the liver tissue over time.
- Viral Hepatitis
Chronic infection with Hepatitis B or C viruses can damage the liver cells if medical intervention is not sought.
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
It is a condition that occurs due to fat’s accumulation in the liver, which can advance to scarring and inflammation, resulting in cirrhosis.
- Autoimmune Hepatitis
In this condition, the immune system attacks the liver mistakenly, leading to its damage, says a doctor of the best gastroenterologist clinic in Mukundapur.
- Biliary Cirrhosis
It happens when there is damage to the bile ducts, which are responsible for transporting the bile from the liver to the small intestine and gallbladder. This can cause the collection of bile in the liver.
Treatments for liver cirrhosis
- Medications: Doctors prescribe medications to manage the complications and symptoms of liver cirrhosis. These include diuretics to reduce the buildup of fluid, lower blood pressure and control other symptoms.
- Treatment of underlying conditions: If the cause behind liver cirrhosis is autoimmune hepatitis, chronic viral hepatitis or other conditions, treatments generally focus on the management of these conditions and slow down the progression of liver damage.
- Management of complications: Liver cirrhosis complications like hepatic encephalopathy and variceal bleeding require some effective treatments to alleviate symptoms and reduce further complications.
- Regular monitoring: Individuals who have liver cirrhosis need regular monitoring by doctors to check liver function, check for complications and adjust treatments as required.
- Lifestyle changes: For those who suffer from alcohol-related liver cirrhosis, the most essential step is to quit drinking alcohol. Moreover, adopting a healthy diet, exercising regularly and losing excess fat can help restore liver function and improve overall health.
If you notice jaundice-like symptoms such as yellowing of the skin and eyes along with loss of appetite and weight loss, you might be suffering from liver cirrhosis. Hence, don’t let your symptoms worsen and seek the help of the best gastroenterology doctors in Mukundapur. They will find the best treatment for your condition and prevent the development of further complications.