Pregnancy is an exciting journey for expectant mothers, but it’s not without its challenges. One common challenge that pregnant mothers experience is stomach pain. This can cause them to feel stressed and have doubts regarding their baby’s health. Below, the best gynecologist doctors in Mukundapur have discussed whether stomach pain during pregnancy is normal.
Understanding normal stomach pain
During pregnancy, the body goes through certain transformations to support the development of the growing fetus. This can sometimes contribute to pain and discomfort. But, it’s important to differentiate between typical stomach pain and a more serious one. Hence, the best gynecologist in Mukundapur has listed below some of the common causes of stomach pain during pregnancy to help you differentiate between the two.
Common causes of stomach pain during pregnancy
- Gas and bloating: Hormonal changes in pregnancy can slow down digestion, leading to bloating and gas. These factors can contribute to mild discomfort and stomach pain.
- Round ligament pain: When the uterus expands to accommodate the growing baby, the ligament supporting it gets stretched, resulting in cramps. This often occurs on one or both sides of the abdomen. It is most prevalent during the second trimester.
- Constipation: Pregnancy hormones can cause the muscles of your digestive tract to relax, potentially resulting in constipation. Uterine pressure on the intestines can intensify this problem, causing constipation.
- Ectopic Pregnancy: In an ectopic pregnancy, women tend to experience severe abdominal pain, along with symptoms like dizziness and vaginal bleeding. This is a serious medical condition where the fertilized egg implants outside the uterus, requiring the immediate attention of a gynecologist.
- Indigestion and heartburn: Hormonal fluctuations during pregnancy, as discussed above, can relax the muscles, preventing stomach acid from entering the esophagus, resulting in heartburn and indigestion. These conditions cause stomach pain.
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs): UTIs are not uncommon during pregnancy and can lead to abdominal pain, along with other symptoms like frequent urination and a burning sensation during urination.
When to consult a gynecologist
Following are some signs that your stomach pain during pregnancy is not normal, and you must consult a gynecologist.
- Severe or Persistent Pain
- Pain accompanied by vaginal bleeding
- Severe headache or changes in vision
- High fever
- Fainting or dizziness
- Decreased fetal movement
By staying informed about what’s considered typical and when to seek medical attention from the best gynecologist doctors in Mukundapur, you can navigate your pregnancy with confidence, ensuring the well-being of both you and your growing baby.