Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome is a condition in which you experience sudden attacks of exhaustion, nausea, and vomiting. Each attack can range from a few hours to some days. Learn its causes, symptoms, and treatment from the best gastroenterologist doctor in Mukundapur.
The causes of cyclic vomiting syndrome are not known. However, some of the suspected causes are hormonal imbalances, digestive difficulties, problems in the nervous system, and genes. Certain bouts of vomiting can get triggered by-
- Fasting, overeating
- Eating just before bed
- Sinus, allergies, and cold
- Some food and drinks like caffeine, alcohol, cheese, and chocolate trigger the digestive system
- Motion sickness
- Hot weather
According to the doctors of the best gastroenterologist clinic in Mukundapur, these are some of the symptoms of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.
- Lack of appetite
- Severe headaches
- Repeated episodes of nausea, wanting to vomit (retching), and vomiting
- Gagging or heaving
- Pain in the abdomen
- Pale appearance of the skin
- Spitting or drooling
- Low-grade fever
- Extreme thirst
First, the doctor will perform a physical examination. Then, they might recommend the following tests to diagnose the condition. Some of them include:
- Imaging Studies: These consist of ultrasound and computed tomography or CT scan. The tests help check for blockages in the digestive system and diagnose the condition.
- Motility tests: Motility tests monitor food movement through the digestive system to examine digestive disorders.
- Laboratory tests: These tests check for metabolic conditions or other disorders that might contribute to the development of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.
- Intervention: For necessary intervention, the following tests will be performed, including endoscopy, colonoscopy, sclerotherapy, RUT, upper and lower GI banding, and balloon enteroscopy.
There is no particular treatment for Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. However, some medications are prescribed to relieve the symptoms of the conditions. These comprise anti-nausea drugs, medications for suppressing stomach acid and pain-relieving medications.
Some medications that are used for treating migraines are also effective in the treatment of this condition. These medications are recommended by doctors for people whose cyclic vomiting episodes are quite frequent.
Intravenous fluids might be given to those who experience dehydration in severe cases. Treatment is specified to address individual symptoms and to manage the duration and severity of the symptoms, along with the prevention of further complications.
If you are experiencing frequent or severe episodes of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome, you must reach out to the top gastroenterologist doctor in Mukundapur. They will perform a physical examination and recommend some tests to confirm this condition and offer the necessary treatment.